Thursday, January 29, 2009

A NORTHERN VISITOR




My brother who lives in Karumba in the Gulf and operates the Point Service Station at Karumba Point decided he would motor down for a quick visit as all the Gulf roads are closed. was originally going to ride his Harley from Karumba to the Darling Downs but could not get through so left his beloved Harley at Karumba flew to Cairns, purchased this little number for the trip and rode down to see the rest of his siblings and mother.


He rode in rain most of the way and left today in a rain storm. My brother is the RACQ representative in the Gulf of Carpentaria area and is a welcome sight for stranded motorists in these remote areas. He picks up vehicles as far as Boorooloola in the Territory and as far east as the Mitchell River. I would also like to revisit Boorooloola where I enjoyed a number of years working on a cattle station in the area. Was also secretary of the Boorooloola Rodeo and Raceclub Association for a number of years. The McArthur River in that area was a beautiful stream and saw with regret that McArthur Mines were to divert the river for their own ends and had permission from the Territory Government. I do not know if this has happened as yet. Am a bit of an escapist as have not tried to find out as did not want to this to occur. The mining on McArthur River Station was only in the exploration stages when I lived and worked there. I am told that where the ore is shipped at Bing Bong the area is not the pristine wonderland it was when I was there. The price of prosperity. My brother told me he thought McArthur Mines has closed at the present.
Was good to catch up with him for the few days he was here and he likes riding the motor bikes even if it is raining. Rekons the Harley is more comfortable to ride but guess he is more familiar with it and perhaps addicted to the distinctive sound of the Harley.

Now I have the itch to go back to my birthplace, Normanton, with the water all about. One of my nieces' husband is the driver of the barge to Mornington Island from Karumba taking supplies. I do not know him but would like to prevail upon him to take the trip and see the Gulf from the seaward side. I would also like to see the northern waterfalls and rivers once more in full flight.
AAAh if wishes were horse, beggars would ride.


8 Comments:

Blogger Artoholic said...

What an adventurer! It must run in the family methinks.

Elizabeth - do it, maybe not on the back of a FatBoy, but have a holiday. And make sure that you show us all the photos!

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Margaret D said...

Hello Elizabeth,
Lovely to have your brother to visit. I bet he could tell some tales. I am sure that one day you will return to the place of your birth and see what you dream of seeing once again.

January 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger diane b said...

What a long journey but I know you will cherish this visit. You should have jumped on the back and gone with him. Hopefully one day you will be able to go back.

January 30, 2009 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger mandy said...

How lovely having your brother visit....i`ve had the pleasure of being on the back of a fat boy....LOUD, very loud.....And I didn`t find the ride terribly comfortable...I think back then my bum may have been to boney....lol...
Lizzie if that`s your wish to go back and revisit home then you should...Don`t think about it,as we all think too much and then it never happens....

February 1, 2009 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Oscar said...

Jump on that barge and go adventuring! Your brother must be mad enjoying riding a harley in the rain!

The Bloke has a harley but it sits in the shed most of the time, especially in the rain. Now he wants to get a Ducati, something else to share the shed.... I do enjoy doing the odd run on the back of the harley, but don't know if I'd enjoy it for a long trip.

February 1, 2009 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth. I know I've said this before and before again, but geez you take great photos!

Nice bike! A long way to ride on a bike so it needs to be fairly big. Sounds like your brother really knows his way around bikes. Must be very confident of his riding ability too.

Do you realise that you didn't say what his name is?

See ya

February 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

At the moment he is stranded somewhere on the Bruce Highway north of Mackay...he will make the most of it whereever he is as is quite casual an he never worries...anyone who he rescues in the north can vouch for that...one thing is for sure his lights coming over the hills anywhere between Boorooloola, Burketown and many stops in between are a welcome sight......especially as he always brings a few coldies in the esky whether it be beer, water, or soft drinks. What a job always welcome!!!

A little sadness with his visit also, by the bemused expression on his mother's face.."Who is this person". The mechanics of aging can be devastating.


He reckons he had a special sort of a seat attachment for his bum which is adaptable but did say he suffered a little soreness.

I guess he can relate to his bike sitting in the shed a lot also and is still in the shed and is riding a ring in.

February 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

Funnily enough about the name (my not using it) he was christened Ronald David. My parents disagreed on his name as they disagreed on nearly everything I think Dad wanted Ronald and Mum wanted David and as she was with him more often she proceeded to call him David an so did I all my life but when he went out into the wide world he was called Ron. So am always on the horns of a dilema when referring to him in the third person. I call him "David" but when dealing with other people refer to him as "Ron"

February 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home