Wednesday, July 30, 2008

ON THE ROAD

Down the road from my property ..was looking for a pair of swans who have returned but missed them on this particular morning but the male mail man informs me they are back so will try and stalk them again.
Have been so sick the past week and do not often get a virus or cold.
Am on sick leave for the first time in my working life.....have been too sick until today to even think about the computer.
Hendra Virus a bat born virus that infects horses and crosses the species into humans and has been lethal was detected in the state a couple of weeks ago and been on the news...People know I am associated with horses and when indicated was feeling unwell would take ten steps backwards and ask in a strangled nonchalant voice..."Have any of your horses been sick lately" . When I am sick I like to be alone "I just vant to be alone" so look a little vague and undecided and the enquirer scuttles off. Naw I do not have the virus but have not had any bedside visitors to my sick room. Very sensible people they are too!!!. Oh Well have enjoyed the lounge about...just lay there like a stunned mullet.....lost some kilos though....

4 Comments:

Blogger Artoholic said...

So sorry to hear that you are unwell Elizabeth. Any Bat bites???
I heard that some horses were destroyed as well?

Last night as my bed time reading gtreat, I tucked into the latest issue of Arabian Horse Express & Endurance News. QLD's own nag mag.

I noticed that a show term was being used that I hadn't heard before : Arabian Derivative.
Has that replaced Anglo Arab then?

What news of the swans? Are they black or white?

Keep warm and get well!

Cheers

Cindy

July 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger diane b said...

Sorry to hear you are sick but hopefully on the mend. There are so many teachers and children at work with colds I'm scared I'm going to come down with it just as I go on holidays. Hope not.
Lovely pic of Australian landscape. Where do the swans come from?

July 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

Hi Cindy,
Black swans. They have been visiting the same waterhole for years but were absent 2006 and 2007 due to lack of water in the dam. The dam was also cleaned out during 2007 in the drought and was uncertain that they would return. Very pleased to know they are about and shall endeavour to capture their image.
Arabian Derivative is any part pred, Anglo, Arabian Pony, Quarab (Very popular in USA), etc. No do not replace the Anglo. The breed specific shows split up the categories but Ag shows just seem to lump them together. I am much better thank you and is a struggle to keep warm. Sleet earlier in the week.

You no doubt would have red in the nag mag that the Quilty is at Nanango . May drive down and get a photograph of a Saudi prince on horseback doing his 100 miles and frighten the world. Oil what oil? Ha ha
Kind Regards,
Elizabeth

July 31, 2008 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

Hi Diane,
Do hope you do not catch the flu.

The black swans are quite rarely seen in this area except for this pair who have frequented the area for a number of years. The probably came from the interior in a really dry year. They are found in Queensland and cover vast distances. Speculation suggests they have flown to New Zealand although the known colony in New Zealand were introduced so could be native to New Zealand anyway.

I hope I am able to photograph the pair....Keep well
Kind regards,
Elizabeth

July 31, 2008 at 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home