Friday, October 17, 2008

AUSTRALIAN PLOVER


AUSTRALIAN PLOVER, originally uploaded by cnlizziebns.

This bird attacks with the yellow hooks on the elbow of the wings. They lay their eggs without benefit of a nest in the middle of the paddock and guard fiercely.

I went carefully closer and closer to this little darling yesterday morning. He/she was eyeing me off and I had thought had escaped the fury but he/she attacked and attempted to beat me about the head with its wings.

A hasty and undignified retreat on my behalf...... .



A pair has been in my paddocks for years and should know by now it will not be harmed...but is not having any of me...guess it wishes I would stop being on a holiday and mind my own business.

3 Comments:

Blogger diane b said...

Wow I've never seen those yellow hooks before. Great shot! We had them nesting in the school playground and they attacked the kids while they were playing football. Stupd birds laying eggs on the soccer field.

October 17, 2008 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

Yes Diane they are very stupid but fierce.
Cheers,

Elizabeth

October 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Artoholic said...

I'm with Diane, great shot!

Jeff was unlucky enough to have been attacked by a pair with chicks last weekend. He swung in self defense and inadvertently sent one parent hurtling off into the bushes. They all took off after that, but Jeff felt really bad for the next 24 hours.

Such a softie.

October 21, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home