Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pinkies Out Walkin"' Today

I have not posted for ages but am back.....have been on a reducing diet and a fitness regime.....have lost 5kilograms and am getting quite fit and have walked a lot of SE Queensland in the meantime.  I have 10 kilgrams to go.....was 14 pushing a 16 and am now a comfortable 12, need to get to a comfortable 10....my weight is quite heavy still as have a lot of muscle form 30 years of riding racehorses trackwork.

Will post those walks and adventures in the intrim but today took the pinkies for a walk after the deluge .....I am so happy when it pours....reminds me of my childhood in the "wet" in the Tropics born and living in the Gulf Country in Far North Queensland.....I really think I am regressing back to childhood as throw off the clothes and shoes at every opportunity....if I am losing it really think will be a handful for my carers!!!   I can just hear by boys "Mum Put Your Clothes On"...and do not even have the excuse of alcohol....lol

I went driving to my paddock which is in Somerset Shire, described as Upper Brisbane Valley but was not to be, Ivory Creek was too swollen upstream and needed to negotiate it a couple of times downstream where the volume would have been considerable at the top of the range but never the less...did get some ways towards my goal until.....

I waded in and when the current became too strong retreated...backed up what seemed like half a kilometre turned around and saw movement in the grass, stopped the beast and saw the cutest little eyes looking at me...This area is kilometres from any dwellings and it was a little black pup....now I do not allow dogs in my vehicle only the back of the ute and knew I could not leave this little creature out in the bush where he would surely die a slow and protracted death.  Over the years I have come across litters of pups dumped in this area...a cowardly and inhumane thing to do.  I feel if the owners felt they were not able to care for the animals , animal shelters would take them in an euthanize if need be ....but oh no too cowardly to bite the bullet and go the hard yards.....This little animal came to me after some coaxing....put him in my car and retraced my steps home as had intended trekking in a national park and anyhow he was and is too weak apart from dogs not being allowed in these parks....

This is he and he did not attempt to crawl in over the seats, just wedged his little face like so.......He is presently lying at the back door exhausted....I will advertise extensively to make sure he does not belong to anyone and somehow was lost, which I very much doubt, between two flooded creeks kilometres from any dwelling whatsoever.  If he is not claimed I feel it is to be he will be my dog.

Gave up on the excursion at the bottom of the ranges and decided I would check out the National Parks after backtracking and taking the pup home...drove out and the road was closed...went around that and arrived at a crossing where vehicles were parked on one side, waded through and knew I would be ok with the beast which is an extremely heavy powerful vehicle with a 4.8 litre motor.  Weight and power is what is needed when crossing flooded crossings and I know is a no no but would not do so if I had thought it was unsafe. ...just in case anyone thinks silly woman....lol  after this you will not only think so but know so...



This is an unopened part of a National Park and to access this negotiate the creek through a property belonging to my brother.  This would be very well utilized if opened to the public as vehicles could drive to this point giving access to the elderly frail, wheel chair bound and small children without a substantial hike....


I perched on a rock to take this and was wishing I had had a pedicure for this particular shot....oh well next time....pinkies enjoy an outing...

Now which way did I come???!!!!


You can just see pinkies pal where I left them in the middle of this pic...marking the trail...I listened carefully to Hansel and Gretel when I was a child ( really think about the fairy tales of my generations childhood...after all H & G were going to be eaten by the wicked witch,  I ask you!!!)  and know all about a trail....


Oops a bit sideways here leaning....now where is that trail again...this was a deep wade but was an anna branch and relatively calm water until I thought I felt something around my ankles....I was walking on top of the water then lol..had seen a lot of slithery tails disappearing into the rocks...

Thank goodness there they are the pinkies pinks....

This is the chute at the top of the waterfall....is hard to comprehend here but did not want to lean any more than I was as that is a very sharp sheer drop just here.....sat here for half an hour talking to the faces in the rocks....commuting with nature...you think I jest...nooooo





The roar was deafening and loved it sent the blood through my veins knowing I was truly living to be fortunate and fit enough to experience this....




No these are a scary set of steps but......

Will me and the pinks take the next step.....tested a couple of times but too strong and too deep.....tomorrow as need to get to the bottom of the main waterfall, the side rocks here were a little unstable as set in gravel and could not do my rock wallaby tricks here as the sides of the gully were quite unstable.


Time for the grey beast to take me home.....has been a good day as was feeling a little down earlier... as you do... nothing like nature to put everything into perspective

Thank you all for your comments and do appreciate them and apologies for the non explanation absence. 







11 Comments:

Blogger yevisha said...

wow spectacular scenery and photos. you had quite the adventure didn't you? it's been raining here in adelaide today, it's been awhile. floods in melbourne. my car would not make it in your part of the world i'm afraid. lovely to get away from it all for a few hours. ;)

March 7, 2010 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Great Photos as usual, Lizzie.!!
Great to see you back on your blog, i look forward to your little adventures...xo

March 7, 2010 at 11:43 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

Hi yevisha,

Pleased to know that Adelaide is receiving rain as well...

Yes today did some thinking which gets a little insignificant in the face of nature..
i simone,

will get back to you tomorrow and thank you for visiting.....I will catch up on the blogs and you all within the next few days....have been doing a little soul searching...

March 8, 2010 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger diane b said...

You are really getting into the fitness thing. Good for you. You are very adventurous in your pinks. I hope you don't take risks out there on your own. how nice of you to rescue puppy. He looks a nice fellow.

March 9, 2010 at 11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice toes

March 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

Simone,

Thank you for your affirmation and comment...has been a little hard of late doing all that I should be doing bogged up to the knees in the yards.

Diane,
Have caught up with your newsey and as always interesting blog...thank you for remembering me..

AND Anonymous,
I thought you had disappeared forever....I miss your poetry....lol ...and these days I know what.. lol means....

March 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats the thing about disappearances
it depends from what side you see it from

March 14, 2010 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

True:))

March 14, 2010 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger Barry Nong said...

truth has 2 mouths?

March 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger Lizzie's Insomnia said...

I missed you nongie...enigmatic and elusive as ever...

March 15, 2010 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Artoholic said...

YOU ARE BACK!!!!

What an adventure! I was feeling woozy just looking at your feet on the precipitous edge - you are a brave soul that's for sure.

What became of the wee doggie? maybe I should just read on with your blog....

Cheers,

Cindy

April 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home